The Foundation’s aim is to advance health equity in south Pinellas County, especially within those groups that have experienced major obstacles to health and well-being due to social or structural barriers such as racial discrimination. This work is not easy, and it is not done alone or in a vacuum; the solutions are co-created with the people who live here and across multiple sectors, within a social context.
Currently, we invest in health equity in these ways:
Equity Movement Building
Empowering a healthier, more equitable community through inspiration, skills and action
- Speakers Who Inspire lecture series
- Courageous Conversation about Race seminar
- Strategic communications to shift understanding of race, poverty, health equity and social change
Convening People for Solutions
Supporting people and organizations across sectors to change systems and solve problems
- Equitable economic development
- Community food systems
Research & Data for Health Equity
Understanding community health and health disparities
- Listening to and cataloguing community needs
- Commissioning research about county health and equity in Pinellas County
- Publishing and disseminating research data
- Studying the impact of policy on people
Grantmaking & Capacity Building
Investing in programs and projects to improve community health and equity
- Grants to nonprofits serving South Pinellas County
- Grants to multi-year collaborative initiatives to change systems
- Nonprofit training and technical support
Center for Health Equity
Where People Create Change
Opening Fall 2019
A place to collaborate, create solutions, incubate ideas, teach, learn and innovate community solutions for health equity. An investment in our community’s capacity for innovation and positive social change. Opening at 2333 34th St. South, St. Petersburg, Florida, Fall 2019.
Every person equitably achieves optimal health and well-being.
To end differences in health due to social or structural disadvantages to improve population health.
We do this by inspiring and empowering people, ideas, information exchange, organizations and relationships.