Announcing Visions of Health Equity: A Community Art Project
To prepare for the opening of the Center for Health Equity, the Foundation for a Healthy St. Petersburg will invite one dozen artists to create a work of visual art depicting their vision of health equity in the community. Please read on for details about the arts invitational, how to enter, and the judging criteria, as well as more information about the theme of health equity and the Center for Health Equity.
About Health Equity
Health equity is a powerful concept yet a simple one. It means that everyone has a fair chance to achieve their best possible health, regardless of their race, ethnicity, income level, gender or where they live, work or go to school.
In reality, though, many individuals and communities experience extra hardship and disadvantages because systems and policies that touch their lives are built on a foundation of inequality. From one zip code to another, people in our communities live dramatically different lives. Too many people fall behind and experience poor health because of where they live, a lack of opportunity, or bias and discrimination.
What would it look like if everyone in Pinellas County had what they need to be healthy? Things such as clean water, safe neighborhoods, good schools, and access to healthy foods, to name a few. We’re calling on artists to envision what that state of health equity looks like to them. We believe that art and artists can use their creativity to guide, encourage, challenge and question us all as we strive for a more equitable and fair community that supports the health of all its citizens.
We encourage looking at health through a very broad lens. Everything in our environment contributes to health—or represents a barrier to it. Health is way more than healthcare, as this video shows. We hope you will be inspired to view things in a new light and create art that will share that vision of health equity.
How to Enter
1. This invitation is open to all artists living in Pinellas County.
2. To be considered, register in our Grants Portal at https://healthystpete.fluxx.io/. You will receive an email once your registration has been processed.
3. Once you are entered into the system, click on Apply Now to start the application. Once you click Save, the saved application can be fund under “Draft Requests”.
4. Please submit photographs of three works of your existing original artwork and why you are inspired to create a work of art on the theme of health equity. Click Submit to enter your application for consideration.
5. The deadline for submission has been extended to midnight, September 6!
6. Twelve artists will be chosen by a panel of community arts leaders and curators. Winning entrants will be announced on September 18, 2019. Artists selected for a commissioned artwork will have until October 18, 2019 to complete their work and deliver it to the Center for Health Equity.
7. Works of art must be 2-D, not to exceed 6 inches in depth or 6 foot in any direction, including frame. Work must be wired and prepped for hanging.
8. Media may include but is not limited to:
- Mixed media
9. All work must be original by the artist.
10. The 12 artists invited to submit commissioned work will each receive $1,000 upon submission and acceptance of their final artwork on October 18, 2019.
11. Selected artists will also submit an Artist’s Statement of no more than 500 words.
12. The commissioned works will become the property of the Center for Health Equity.
13. A reception to acknowledge the commissioned artists will be held later in the fall at the Center for Health Equity.
If you have questions or are having difficulty with your application, please contact Karen Chassin at Karen@Healthystpete.foundation.